As news of Justice Ginsbeug’s tragic diagnosis of pancreatic cancer spreads, people are already guessing at who Obama will nominate to replace her if she decides to retire early.
It wouldn’t be surprising if she did retire, as she can now do so secure in the knowledge that a liberal president will be appointing her replacement.
• Judge Diane Wood of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago.
• Judge Kim McLane Wardlaw of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.
• Judge Sonia Sotomayor of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York.
• Pam Karlan, a law professor at Stanford University.
• Judge Margaret McKeown of the 9th Circuit in San Francisco.
It will be interesting to see if there will be as much stonewalling by the Republicans as there was by the Democrats to Bush’s nominees.