Custom Search

Monday, February 2, 2009

The First Bill Obama Signed

NA/LEDBETTER

If I owned a business, I would negotiate with my employees about their salary on a case-by-case basis.  In each case, it would be my goal to pay them the minimum that they would be satisfied with, just as it would be their goal to get me to pay the maximum I would be able to.  Some people would be better negotiators than others, and have more leverage, therefore would get paid more. 

With this new law, the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, it seems like that would be illegal.  If one of the people I had negotiated a lesser salary with happened to be a woman, I would be breaking the law.  So do all companies now have to standardize what they pay their employees? 

Lilly Ledbetter was willing to work for her employer for 19 years at the salary they paid.  It wasn’t a problem until she found out other people were making more.  If a company is willing to pay a certain amount and an employee is willing to take it, how is that not fair? 

No comments:

Post a Comment